One day I saw a post on Facebook that showed a “treat” made from a bunch of chemical laden junk food wrapped in bacon and deep fried. Like many others, I commented on the post. I said “I might try it if they made a version that was free of gluten, dairy, soy, refined sugar, preservatives or anything artificial.” As I was going about my day, people replied to my comment. For example: “at that point, why bother?”; “at least I’ll die happy”; “your life must suck!”. Really? At first I was offended. But the more I thought about it, the more I saw it as an opportunity to dispel some myths!
My response to “why bother”?
- Because healthy food that tastes good DOES exist!
- Because everyone wants a treat sometimes!
- Because you care about your health!
- Because you don’t want the host of diseases that chronic abuse of these food-like substances cause to your body!
- Because you feel so much better when you eat healthy!
My response to “at least I’ll die happy”?
- Eating healthy actually helps alleviate depression!
- Being healthy doesn’t make you happy?
- Diabetes, heart disease, autoimmune disease, etc. makes you happy?
- Are you aware that chronic eaters of processed, chemical-laden junk “food” are far more likely to suffer from chronic disease?
- That high you feel after eating processed food is addiction, not happiness!
My response to “your life must suck”?
- How my life has improved since cutting out the toxic foods:
- Lost weight
- Brain fog lifted
- Acne cleared
- Wrinkles diminished
- Migraines went away
- Less inflammation of sinuses
- Less head/chest congestion
- I have everything I’ve ever wanted in life: wonderful family, supportive husband who truly loves me, talented stepson, two sweet dogs
- I have my health back mainly due to the dietary changes I made
- So no, my life doesn’t suck!
In case you’re wondering, I didn’t reply to either comment, though a part of me wanted to. It seemed like the more constructive thing to do was to save it for this post!