Lately we’ve had a bit of cold weather (lows in the 30s), mixed in with some warm weather (highs in the 80s!). It’s seasonal allergy time, so I’ve been battling them off and on lately, so of course the thing I’m craving quite a bit is soup. Comfort food is the best when it’s cold & you have allergies! Because this is a busy week (I have a PiYo Live class, a military ball, personal training study, extra errands, and a blog to run), I needed an easy to make meal that would last several days. Enter crock pot chicken soup. It satisfied my craving for soup and my need for an easy, long lasting meal! The only thing I had to chop for this was carrots & chicken. The best part: this amazing soup is going to support my immune system while also being comforting and easy!
I started off with organic chicken broth, added a mixture of frozen organic tri-colored bell peppers, garlic & onion mixed together. This is something I keep on hand at all times to reduce prep time for many meals to come. It also helps keep us on track with eating clean & prevents us simply using veggies from a can. Taking the time to chop 1 – 2 of each green, red & yellow peppers plus some onion & garlic is a bit time consuming up front, but it pays off in dividends later. At our house this tends to work best at if the chopping happens right after buying groceries – if we wait, we get busy and next thing we know, the veggies have gone bad. If you’re willing to put in some up from time, you’ve got a great addition to any meal right at your fingertips later. Having this around has saved me many times! If you don’t like peppers, you could also do this with whatever veggies you prefer.
- 3 32 oz boxes organic chicken broth
- 2 medium sized, hormone & antibiotic free chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped organic bell pepper, onion & garlic mixture
- 3 large organic carrots (for this particular soup I used one each of orange, yellow, purple carrots)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sage
- Put broth, pre-chopped veggies & seasonings in the slow cooker & turn on high
- Peel & chop carrots, dice chicken & add to crock pot
- Let cook on low all day (about 8 hours)
- Another option for the chicken is to put the chicken breasts in whole & frozen & pull apart with tongs & a fork once cooked
- Cook rice separately & add just prior to serving the meal
For my Vegan friends, (I know you already know this), use vegetable broth & skip the chicken. My Paleo friends can leave out the rice. Rice is one of the few grains I still eat & my husband really likes to have it in his chicken soup, so I added. You could also use quinoa for the grain. I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating: use organic food whenever possible!
This recipe is clean eating approved. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for taking the time to read!