Lately we’ve had lots of cold weather, including snow, ice, and rain. As a result of all the back and forth, I’m dealing with a cold or allergies. That means what I’m craving quite a bit is soup. Comfort food is the best when it’s cold & you have allergies! Enter crock pot chicken soup. Since I haven’t been feeling that great, my husband was sweet enough to make this on Sunday, and I should have enough for the entire week. He’s out in the field without a microwave, so he’s eating pulled pork on corn tortillas with hummus (recipe coming soon!). This amazing soup is going to support my immune system!
He started off with organic chicken broth then added a mixture of frozen organic carrots, celery & onion mixed together. TThis is something we keep on hand at all times to reduce prep time for many meals to come. It also helps keep us on track with eating clean & prevents us simply using veggies from a can. Taking the time to chop the veggies up front is a bit time consuming up front, but it pays off in dividends later. At our house this tends to work best at if the chopping happens right after buying groceries – if we wait, we get busy and next thing we know, the veggies have gone bad. If you’re willing to put in some up from time, you’ve got a great addition to any meal right at your fingertips later. Having this around has saved me many times! You could do this with whatever veggies you use on a regular basis.
- 3 32 oz boxes organic chicken broth
- 2 medium sized, hormone & antibiotic free chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped carrot, celery & onion mixture
- 3 large organic carrots (he added extra fresh carrots for extra bulk since I wanted this soup to be completely Paleo)
- 1 tbsp salt (I used pink Himalayan sea salt)
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sage
- Put broth, pre-chopped veggies & seasonings in the slow cooker & turn on high
- Peel & chop carrots & add to crock pot
- Add whole frozen chicken breasts to the crock pot
- Let cook on low all day (about 8 hours)
- Chicken will pull apart with tongs & a fork once cooked
To make this Vegan, (I know you already know this but I’m putting it out there just in case), use vegetable broth & skip the chicken. Normally we add brown rice to this soup, but I really wanted to make it Paleo, so we left it out. I’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating: use organic food whenever possible!
This recipe is clean eating approved. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for taking the time to read!