This healthy blended fruit and spinach smoothie was something I threw together with items we had on hand. It looked so cute next to our Christmas decorations that I had to include them in the picture! The flavors are not really reminiscent of the holidays, but the color definitely is. This is great to have in the midst of all the holiday indulgences we’re likely to partake in this time of year!
To make this taste a bit more like the holidays, add some fresh mint. We didn’t have any, but I really think it would go well with the flavors in this shake. It’s also worth noting that I use organic fruits and veggies whenever possible. It’s especially important to buy the “dirty dozen” in organic versions. Since developing Hashimoto’s, I’ve had to be extra careful about my exposure to endocrine (aka hormone) disrupting chemicals like those found in pesticides. As a general rule, I recommend organic to anyone because trust me, you don’t want to deal with a hormonal condition like this!
- 2 oranges
- 3 kiwis
- 1 cup frozen sliced pineapple
- 1 cup frozen sliced banana
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- Slice the orange into quarters longways, remove the peel and put in the blender. Starting with an acidic liquid helps break down the frozen fruit when you add it later.
- Add frozen banana and blend
- Peel kiwi, add to mixture and blend
- Add frozen pineapple and blend
- Add spinach and blend
- Add the chia seeds and blend. Chia seeds start to gel once added to liquid, so make sure you add these last!
This one took about 15 minutes to make, including the time it took to cut and peel the fruit thanks to our Ninja professional series blender. This blender is in the kitchen gadgets section of my Amazon store (http://astore.amazon.com/mycrnoli-20).
If you decide to make this, I’d love to hear what you think about it! Thanks for taking the time to read, and I wish you a happy holiday season!