So this soup was one that I made last week when my husband was working in the field and couldn’t take food with him to work so I was cooking for only me. It was kind of nice to have variety, and it forced me to be a bit creative and use what we had in the house. We always keep broth in the house, but last week we actually had organic bone broth. We had some organic green onions from Thanksgiving that needed to be used, too. We always keep organic eggs on hand, so I figured why not make egg drop soup! This is something I’ve yet to perfect, so I wanted to try again. Boy I’m glad I did because it was amazing!!
The awesome thing about this soup is that it is super simple, and made from staples that are kept in many households. Because it was my meal, I ate about three servings the day that I made it. I ate the rest of it as an appetizer with the meal I the next day.
Without further ado, let’s get into how it was made!
- Two 8 oz boxes of organic chicken bone broth
- Two stalks of green onion, chopped
- Two large organic eggs
- Sea salt, pepper
- Pour the broth into a medium sized sauce pan on medium to high heat
- Rinse and chop the green onion
- Bring the soup to a rolling boil
- Crack one egg & drop it in the soup a little at a time
- I dropped the yolk in whole, which made basically a poached egg yolk
- The first one made a big splash so if you do drop it be careful!
- After the first yolk goes in, wait until the soup gets back to a rolling boil prior to dropping another yolk in
Now I know technically you’re not supposed to have a whole yolk in egg drop soup. I was in a bit of a hurry and didn’t want to poke holes in the yolk. Since I really like poached eggs, I didn’t mind having the whole yolk! Either way, it was delicious and not difficult to make at all! This is great, because now that I finished my ebook I’m working hard on completing my personal training certification. I definitely don’t want to stop working for a long time to cook some complicated meal.
Hopefully you found this helpful. As always, thanks for stopping by!