Is one of your new year’s resolutions to use safer cleaning products but unsure where to start? Do nontoxic cleaners work as well as the ones you’ve been using all your life? How much do they cost? Where does one find them?
These are all questions I had when I started this journey. When I was struggling through hypothyroid symptoms and ready to eliminate endocrine disruptors from my home environment, I decided to jump right in and try some new products that were safer. I was apprehensive about trying new products because I’m a clean freak, and I didn’t want to sacrifice that to use safer products. The good news is, you don’t have to sacrifice cleanliness for nontoxic products. Before I switched I was wearing a mask to avoid the noxious fumes from the old cleaners I was using. Now I can clean without getting a headache or wearing a mask!
Just to be clear, I’m not being paid by any of these companies, I’m simply offering my honest opinion of some cleaning products that I’ve used.
Here are some safer brands that I recommend:
- Better Life Products – They’re all plant-based and scented with essential oils. These products can be ordered from their website, are available at some big box retailers, and I’ve even found them at discount stores. The first time I tried it was when I found a 32 oz bottle of WhatEVER at TJ Maxx. I’ve tried several of their products and have yet to be disappointed. WhatEVER cleans anything, hence the name. I prefer the unscented version, though they have others. I Can See Clearly Wow is a glass cleaner that works great and doesn’t really have an odor, which I love. Even The Kitchen Sink is a great cleaner for sinks, tubs, etc. No odor and it removes stains and grime. Natural Stain and Odor Eliminator can be used as a cleaner to remove stains or as a spray to eliminate odors. My only complaint about the odor eliminator is I’m not a fan of the smell, but that’s because I don’t care for Lemongrass or Lavender. If you like them you will probably like this scent.
- Earth Friendly Products – so far I’ve only tried a few of their products, and I’m in love! They can be purchased online, and this is another brand I’ve found at both discount stores and health food stores that carry green cleaners. The Free and Clear Auto Dishwasher Gel with built in rinse aid gets our dishes clean without any powdery residue. The dish detergent in Natural Pear smells amazing gets our dishes just as clean as any traditional detergent. It doesn’t create much later, but remember – you don’t need lather to get clean! I bought the unscented dish detergent and put a few drops of lemon essential oil so that way I get exactly the scent I want without phthalates! I used Aura Cacia brand, but I’m partial to Young Living which I discovered after already buying some other brands.
- Seventh Generation – I’ve tried several of their products, and my thoughts are mixed. Some products I like, some I don’t. The products are easy to find since most grocery stores and big box retailers carry them. They are a bit pricey compared to their traditional counterparts, though, but i my opinion it’s worth not breathing in toxic chemicals! The unscented dryer sheets are a product that I love. The toilet bowl cleaner in Emerald Cypress and Fir works great, and the smell isn’t too strong, but I don’t care for it. I’ve also used the Free and Clear dish and laundry detergents and they work great without any odor. The dishwasher tabs always left a powdery residue on our dishes. The cleaning wipes in Lemongrass Citrus smell like bug spray to me, so I only bought them once.
- Dr Bronner’s – I really like to use this brand of products. They are available at many big box retailers, grocery stores, health food stores, and of course, online. The prices may seem expensive at first glance, but because the soap is so concentrated, a little goes a long way! I like to use the Castile soap in peppermint for household cleaning and personal care. The great thing about this brand is that the same soap can have so many different uses. It’s a great multi-tasker, and peppermint has antibacterial properties, so it makes a great cleaner! I also use the baby mild unscented soap on our small dogs when I bathe them, and the naked lip balm.
- The Clean Collection – this brand is made exclusively for Vitacost, which is a great resource for buying nontoxic items. I use the unscented plant based laundry detergent (and add peppermint essential oil for scent) and the peppermint scented toilet bowl cleaner. The products are very reasonably priced and I’m happy with how they work. If you’re interested in purchasing from their website, I have a refer a friend link for $10 off a purchase of $30 or more, and orders over $49 always ship free. Please contact me for the link.
All these products (except the Vitacost ones) are also available in my Amazon store here: http://astore.amazon.com/mycrnoli-20. If you do purchase from there, I earn a small commission which would go towards covering the cost of the blog and would be very much appreciated 🙂
I hope this helps you get your new year off to a great nontoxic start!